Paddock Reburial

On the 4th May 2011, 47 sets of remains were re-interred in the Paddock, following five years of research by Cranfield University, lead by Dr. Andrew Shortland and Mr. Peter Masters.
To read more about the Archaeology please follow these links:
Rare Skeleton Unearthed
2007 Archaeological Dig

Reburial of remains 4-11-11  Reburial of remains 4-11-11 Reburial of remains 4-11-11 Reburial of remains 4-11-11
Reburial of remains 4-11-11 Reburial of remains 4-11-11 Reburial of remains 4-11-11 Reburial of remains 4-11-11
The service was held in memory of those re-interred the previous day in the Paddock and was attended past Haslar Staff from the QARNNS and Medical Branch also by Senior Naval Officers from The Institute of Naval Medicine and the Portsmouth Command including the Russian Naval Attaché Commander Bogachev who later laid a laurel leaf wreath at the burial site, to commemorate the 217 members of the Russian Navy and Army who died whilst at Portsmouth in 1808-1809.
To read more about the Russians at Haslar please follow this link:
The Russians at Haslar 1808-1809
Reburial Service at St. Lukes 5-5-11 Reburial Service at St. Lukes 5-5-11 Reburial Service at St. Lukes 5-5-11  
An oak cross was placed in the grounds of the Paddock arising from a Portland stone block inscribed "In Memoriam 1753-1826" and has been dedicated to all who were buried in the Paddock during this period.Oak    & Stone Cross in the    Paddock Inscribed  - In Memoriam  1753-1826


Copyright on all photo's remain the property of MoD, Haslar Heritage Group, Eric Birbeck and Nicola Smith and are not to be reproduced without prior permission.
Site Design by Nicola Smith in conjunction with Ann Ryder
Background image reproduced by kind permission of John Pounds