Residences

The Over the years The Royal Hospital Haslar has been home to many from Senior Officers & Physicians to the Nursing & Medical Staff and their families.
Click images to enlarge
Map showing the placement of the residential areas of the Royal Hospital Haslar site.
The Residential areas of Haslar
The Terrace and Houses of Haslar
When Haslar was first built and opened in 1753 Officers employed in the Hospital were lodged with their families within the main hospital building.
In 1756 houses were ordered to be built and when completed these comprised of the four residences - two on either side of the hospital frontage, two of which to this day still act as residences one being for the Commanding Officer.
In March 1794 a general enquiry for the provision of housing the Hospital Governor took place and in October 1795 Lord Seymour and Mr Phybus of the Admiralty, surveyed Haslar and marked out the ground with the purpose of erecting houses for the Governor and other officers of Haslar.
Commanding Officers Residence Left side of CO's residence
General view of CO's residence
 
    
Houses 11& 12
The second pair of houses built in 1756 to house Physicians and their families. You will note an addition to the side with an archway. Sir John Richardson added this section during his time in Haslar (1838-1854) to accommodate his enlarged family. The building was recently restored.
Houses 11 & 12 Rear view of Houses 11 & 12 The Stables Walk under the archway and through the gate and here you will see the stables which housed the horses and gig used by the resident Senior Officer.
    
The Terrace

The Terrace was built and completed in 1798, on what had been the burial ground of the hospital. Numerous skeletons were exhumed during building works and for many years following, even as late as the early 1900's skeletons were found embedded within feet of the Inspector Generals front door.
Over the years numerous complaints were made in connection with the residences. Rain came in through the sash windows; chimneys did not draw and choked those who lived in the houses with smoke, water pipes leaked and the drains smelt. In 1800 the then Governor complained and requested of the Admiralty that "Mr Bunce" (Admiralty Architect) be stopped from making experiments which have constantly failed to make my house habitable!"

General view of Haslar Terrace The Terrace End biew of the Terrace Rear view of the Terrace
    
The Medical Mess
The Medical Mess Built in 1899, opened in 1901 to house medical officers who up until this time had lived within the main building of the hospital on the corner opposite Houses 11 & 12.
  
Canada Block
Canada Block Built in 1917 from funds raised by the 'Women of Canada' in gratitude for care and aid given to Canadian Troops during First world War. This building was the main mess for Sick Berth Staff for many years. The nurses were accommodated in the block of the main hospital adjacent to Eliza MacKenzie House.

Read More about the history of Canada Block

 

Copyright on all photo's remain the property of MoD, Haslar Heritage Group, Eric Birbeck and Nicola Smith and are not to be reproduced without prior permission.
Site Design by Nicola Smith in conjunction with Ann Ryder
Background image reproduced by kind permission of John Pounds
iropa