|Click images to enlarge|
|The Arcade - 1753|
The Arcade was built in 1746. In the early days of the hospital this is where patients were admitted for treatment. Off the Arcade were the Patient's Receiving Room, agents room and the Captain Superintendent's Office. The original doorways still exists.
|The Arches - 1753/1762|
The ground floor arches faced the inner quadrangle and were originally open areas for patients to sit. One such area still exists and can be seen at 'F' Block.
|The Attic - 1753|
The vast attic area of the hospital was used in the 18th century as accommodation for both discharged patients and pensioner staff.
|The Light Shaft - 1753|
The light shaft was constructed to draw natural light into all floors of the Central area above the Arcade.
|Georgian Stairs - 1762|
There are few remaining staircases in their original form but many were rebuilt as the hospital underwent change. Railings from one staircase now form the altar rail in St. Luke's Church.
|Oval Staircase - 1957|
This splendid oval staircase was built during the refurbishment of the hospital in the late 1950's.
|Floor - 1746|
There is one remaining area of original teak flooring left in the hospital opposite C3 Ward (Arcade End).
|The Cellar - 1745|
|Cellars extend under the main building and formed storage areas and in the early days this included a stable. In the Second World War part of the cellars were used as Operating Theatres and Bomb Shelters.|
| || || |
| || || |