The Site of Royal Hospital Haslar
It seems that an initial proposal to convert Portchester Castle into a hospital at Portsmouth failed to materialize on account of the costs. The site of Royal Hospital Haslar was formally Haslar Farm and purchased by the Crown in 1745. Title reverted to Royal Hospital Haslar in April 1996 as the core Tri-Service hospital. It is situated on a peninsular piece of land overlooking Portsmouth Harbour and Spithead having at its South-West extremity Fort Monckton, whilst on its North-East point stands Fort Blockhouse, guarding the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour. In all early plans studied Haslar is spelt Hasler. Haslar first appears in a plan dated 1799.
|Click images to enlarge|
|Note: How the plan shows how the fourth of the square was left incomplete. The plan also included iron railings to close the gap. These were eventually erected in 1796.|